Fleet list

ss Jugoslavija (1933)

Jadranska Plovidba d.d., Sušak, Yugoslavia

Jadranska Linijska Plovidba, Rijeka, Yugoslavia (1947)

Jugoslavija
The troubled story of the Jugoslavija began during WW I. The Second World War provided the closing chapter, with a post-war epilogue when Jadrolinija took posession of the wreck and sent it straight away to the breakers. The keel was laid in 1914 for a ship to be called Hunyad, but construction was halted due to the war. In 1920 the new Italian owners of the formerly Hungarian yard decided to launch her. Pursuant to the 1919 peace treaty the hull belonged to Yugoslavia, but only in the early thirties Jadranska Plovidba showed an interest in having her finished-off. So, the Jugoslavija was a young ship when during an Allied air raid in 1944 she was damaged beyond repair at Livorno, Italy. The wreck was raised after the war and returned to Yugoslavia.

Built 1933 at Cantieri Navale del Quarnero, Fiume, Italy, from a hull (yard nr 139) began in 1914 at Ganz & Co, Fiume
Single-screw passenger/cargo ship
Dimensions 78.50 x 10.45 x 4.11 m
Tonnage 1275 grt, 628 nrt

8-cylinder quadruple-expansion steam engine (Harland & Wolff, Belfast)
Speed 15½ kn



Yard number 139 (Hunyad) (1914)

In 1914 Società in Azione Ungaro-Croata di Navigazione Marittima a Vapore, Fiume, orders an express liner from Ganz & Comp. Danubius Maschinen-, Waggon- und Schiffbau-A.G., Fiume, to be called Hunyad. Both the yard and the shipping company are Hungarian-owned, Hunyad being the name of a Hungarian comitat. At a given time construction is suspended because of the war.

In 1920 Yard number 139 is launched. Ungaro-Croata is in liquidation at that time and the shipyard is now Italian-owned, called Cantieri Navale del Quarnero. The unfinished hull falls to the Kingdom Yugoslavia pursuant to the Trianon Peace Treaty of 1919, in which Hungary ceded her merchant fleet, including ships under construction, to the Allied powers.

Jugoslavija (1933)

In the early thirties Jadranska Plovidba, Sušak, Yugoslavia, enters the Adriatic cruise market. The company orders a new flagship from Swan Hunter in England and contracts Cantieri Navale del Quarnero to finish-off the hull of the Hunyad.

February 1933 delivered, named Jugoslavija. Put into service on the international and coastal express lines, where her running mates are the Prestolonaslednik Petar (1931), Karadjordje (1913), Ljubljana (1904) and Zagreb (1902).

Cattaro / D 36 (1941)

1941 seized by the Italian occupators. Renamed Cattaro.

1942 war service as an auxilliary cruiser (D 36).

9 September 1943 scuttled at Santa Margharita, Italy, to prevent her from coming to hands of the Allied forces. Raised by the German armed forces.

22 March 1944 scuttled in the harbour entrance at Livorno (also known as Leghorn to English speakers), Italy.

14 June 1944 the wreck is heavily damaged during an air raid on Livorno.

Jugoslavija (1945)
In 1945 work begins on clearing the harbour entrance of Livorno. Ownership of the wreck of the Jugoslavija is formally returned to Jadranska Plovidba.

1947 ownership of the wreck transferred to Jadranska Linijska Plovidba, Rijeka.

1947 towed to Split and broken up.
Sources: Lloyd’s Register, Hungarian Ships Register (MHE), Miramar Ship Index.

Notes: Lloyd’s Register omits the renaming by the Italians. Scuttling at Livorno found in MHE, air raid on Livorno found in Miramar; it is not unlikely that both events actually happened, but in view of the heavily damaged wreck the air raid seems to be a certainty.

Created 13/06/2007.