Farmyards & Manorial farms

The Samson family lived in the valley of the Regge, where a large number of manorial farms were situated. At these manorial farms, which were the houses of the nobility, the inhabitants had special rights. Examples are 'Huize Eversberg', 'Huis den Dam', 'Schuilenburg' and 'Huis Egede'. The owners of these houses and the owners of other farmyards in the commonland of Hellendoorn and the commonland of Hulsen cam be found on a separate page.

The farmyards where the family Samson has lived from 1734 to 1867 are:

  • Imhof in Hulsen
  • Vonkers op den Kerkdijk in Hulsen
  • Olde Sams in Marle

    Imhof in Hulsen

    The farmyard Imhof where Hendrik Leefferts took up his residence in 1734, was part of the manorial farm Schuilenburg. Imhof was situated in the commonland of Hulen (see ouline map) while the manorial farm itself was situated just within the borders of the commonland of Dam.
    Until 1754, Johan Everhard Adolph of Rechteren Limpurg was the lord of Schuilenburg and after him his son Joachim Adolph became the landowner. Until 1853 Schuilenburg remained in the hands of the family Rechteren. The manorial farm Schuilenberg itself has been demolished in 1840.
    The manor-house Schuilenburg existed from 1112. In the Spanish time it was a haunt of robbers. Schuilenburg used to have a strategic location. Near the manorial farm Schuilenburg the Twentseweg crossed the river the Regge. The lord of Schuilenburg could therefore collect toll. The Twentseweg was the main route between the cities Kampen and Zwolle and also the easiest way to Germany.

    Vonkers op den Kerkdijk in Hulsen

    To which manorial farm 'Vonkers op den Kerkdijk' (nowadays Elerweg,
    see outline map) remained, is still unclear. According to the information from the land registry, Vonkers was part of the commonland of Hulsen. The counts of Rechteren Limpurg, who lived in Zwolle, are mentioned as owners around 1830. All farmyards in Hulsen belonged to the manorial farm Schuilenburg or to the manorial farm Katenhorst. Owners of Schuilenburg and Katenhorst were respectively the Counts of Rechteren Limpurg and the family Bernesau. Like Imhof, Vonkers must have belonged to Schuilenburg. From 1769 unuitl 1823 Hendrik Jan Hendriksen and Hendrine Gerrits lived at Vonkers.

    Olde Sams in Marle

    The Olde Sams where Mannes Hendrik Jansen (later Mannes Olde Samson) lived is a farm in the hamlet Marle under Hellendoorn (see outline map). The owner of the Olde Sams was Bernardus van Beest. He lived at Schuilenburg. Van Beest was also the owner of the farmyard Sams and the grazing-land Samhoek. Van Beest was a landlord in the commonland of Hellendoorn. This means that he used to lease his land. Besides owning the Olde Sams he was for example also the owner of Hofstede.

    Bernardus van Beest was the son of Willem Gozewijn van Beest, who was until 1780 custom-house officer at Schuilenburg. He took care of the concerns of the Count of Rechteren, who owned the manorial farm Schuilenburg. Willem Gozewijn van Beest (who died in 1780) built in 1742 the farm at Schuilenburg. This was done under the assignment of Johan Everhard Adolph, Count of Rechteren. This farm still exists. Bernardus van Beest succeeded his father as custum-house officer. In 1820 Bernardus retired.

    Next to the Olde Sams, Bernardus van Beest was also the owner of the Sams. All born, deceased and married members of the family Samson (with the last name Samson, or Samsen, Olde Samson, 'op 't oude Samson') who lived in the parish Hellendoorn in the period 1811 until respectively 1902, 1932 and 1912 respectively, can be reduced to the two ancestors: Mannes Olde Samson, who lived on the Olde Sams and Harmannus Samson (not directly related to Mannes Olde Samson), who lived on the Sams.

  • visit homepage | how the name Samson originated | farmyards & manorial farms | map | reactions |

    last modified: december 1998.


    Top of page click here